BackpackGearTest.org needs to GIVE YOU FREE GEAR!!
Just write three reports in four months for each piece you test, and you can stock your gear locker for free! Plus, you can give back to the hiking community by providing useful info. Click the link above or go to the BGT Yahoo! group for more info.
My BackpackGearTest Reviews:Owner Reviews:
- GoLite Speed Backpack
- JRB 3 Season Hammock Quilt Set
- Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker Asym
- Mountain House Scrambled Eggs with Bacon
- OES MacCat Standard Hammock Tarp (Test Details)
- Duofold Multisport Midlayer Jacket (Initial Report) (Field Report) (Long Term Report)
- Crazy Creek LEX Ultralite (Initial Report) (Field Report) (Long Term Report)
- Outdoor Research Nimbus Sombrero (Initial Report) (Field Report) (Long Term Report)
- Sierra Designs Wicked Fast Sleeping Bag (Initial Report) (Field Report) (Long Term Report)
Non-BGT Tests:These are works in progress...I'll update them as I get more experience with the gear. I don't write BGT reviews on JRB gear anymore because of the Gear Hammock association, but I plan to consolidate the other tests into BGT Owner Reviews. My business relationship with JRB ends at the pack cover and has nothing to do with the other tests here.
One important note about these tests. Some of the gear I bought myself, and some of it was sent to me from the manufacturer to test. To keep my impartiality during the test, I get to keep the gear no matter what findings I post. I don't have a financial incentive to write a positive review...the gear is mine regardless.
- Handy Hammock and stand (Test Details) (Manufacturer's Link)
- JRB Stealth (Test Details) (Manufacturer's Link)
- JRB Mount Washington 0-10 F Underquilt (Test Details) (Manufacturer's Link) Thanks, Jack!
- JRB 11' x 10' Cat Tarp (Test Details) (Manufacturer's Link) Thanks, Jack!
- JRB Weather Shield (Test Results) (My Review) (No longer in production) Thanks, Jack!
- Exped Downmat 7 (Test Results) (My Review) (Manufacturer's Link)
- Kickass Quilts Potomac (Test Results) (My Review) (Manufacturer's Link) Thanks, Patrick!
- Speer PeaPod (Test Results) (My Review) (Manufacturer's Link)
- Universal FingerLight (My Review)
- Jif To Go - Single Serving Peanut Butter cups (My Review)
Cold Weather Tests:I'm also trying to test how cold I can get in different hammock configurations. Here's what I've done so far:
- 22-24 Apr 2005: Hot Springs, NC. (Link) Southeast Hammock Hangers Association. Light Snow, ~35 F in a homemade Speer-type with JRB quilts on bottom and 0 F Wiggys bag inside.
- 30 Apr - 4 May 2005: Foothills Trail, SC/NC (Link) Not very cold, but I learned some good stuff about the JRB on my homemade Speer-type.
- 8-9 Oct 2005: Ten Lakes, Yosemite National Park, CA. (Link) 20-25 F in a Hennessy Hammock with the JRB 3 Season Set
- 16-18 Dec 2005: Winnemucca Lake, CA. (Link) -10 F wind chill Friday, 100+ mph winds Saturday. PeaPod, Exped DAM, JRB No Sniveller, MacCat Standard.
- 20-21 Jan 2007: Hope Mills, NC. (Link) Not really a cold weather report, but I tested a new low in the DownHammock v2 in my backyard and wanted to post the results. I used the DownHammock v2, JRB No Sniveler for half the night, then switched the NS to the SD Wicked Fast. Low 28 F, no wind.