WarmHammock Version 1
This WarmHammock is made from untreated Ripstop Nylon from the Walmart bargain bin ($1/yd). The hammock measures 9’x4.5’. I used a rolled hem on all edges, then whipped the ends with 550 cord.
I sewed a pocket along the central portion of the hammock, then stuffed it with a double layer of 1.3” Primaloft insulation, 36”x60”. I baffled the pocket so it wouldn’t compress the insulation, then quilted every 12”. You can see the quilting loops below.
On this model, I didn’t measure the width of the pocket well enough when I attached it so the insulation under my butt compresses so much that I’ll have to redo it. On the next prototype, I plan to put one layer of Primaloft measuring 60”x40”, and another measuring 36”x40”. This should give me adequate insulation while reducing bulk.
I used Risk’s WarmHammock design and made only minor changes for this prototype.
|WarmHammock without ridgeline and with JRB Python Skins.|
|Quilting on side of WarmHammock|
|Underside of WarmHammock. The corner is where the bottom flap is sewn to hold the insulation inside. The puckered spots are the quilting.|
|Inside the WarmHammock.
You can see where the insulations ends near the end.
|Outside of WarmHammock while occupied. You can see the baffles holding the insulation. They’re a bit too tight and the insulation compresses on the bottom of the hammock.|
|I attached a ridgeline. This was more sag than I normally get in a hammock, but it sure was comfortable...odd place to find a sweet spot.|